Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Battle of the Nutcrackers on Ovation

Ovation Network is having a Battle of the Nutcrackers on tv. Their
promos are funny, done in the style of professional wrestling,
Smackdown!

I've now seen all 4: Matthew Bourne's, George Balanchine's, Mark
Morris's Hard Nut and finally the Bloshoi's. I enjoyed each one never
having seen any version all the way through before. I thought it was
time.

Matthew Bourne's is all kitsch and surreal gay design gone mad. I
don't remember much of Balanchine's except that it was more
traditional than Bourne's and starred a young (isn't he always
young?) Macaulay Culkin. Mark Morris's had both beauty and humor and
I think it gets my vote for the contest. The Bolshoi's was entirely
traditional, had the music at slower tempos than what I've heard
otherwise and had some wonderful dancing. I was impressed also at the
crowd interrupting the performance with Bravos and applause whenever
they liked what they saw.

No comments:

Post a Comment