Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Indian Point siren test

For the first time since I moved here in July 2003, I can hear the
Indian Point siren clearly. They had a test at 10:38 am this morning
for about 4 minutes if I remember correctly. It came on very loud and
then for the balance of the remaining time was very low level! Very
loud for about 10% of the time, very low level for about 90% of the
time. I know the sirens rotate but they don't seem to rotate at an
even speed because the loud parts were not regular in coming. (I
listen to a lot of music so I think I can tell when something is
irregular.)

So, I am glad the siren is loud for the first time in 4 summers. I do
wonder though, how many people know that that siren is for Indian
Point? It sounds like any other fire alarm. If you didn't know that
the Indian Point siren test was conducted today or hadn't read about
them in the past, how would you know that this siren is for Indian
Point? Why would you pay attention to it? I suspect that 90 some odd
percent of the people who hear this siren a) don't pay attention to
it so that if it wasn't a test they wouldn't do anything and b) don't
know it is for Indian Point.

They are replacing all the sirens by next year. The new sirens will
have the capability to give voice instructions. I don't know how
often they will test the voice capabilities. Will the voice
instructions be helpful? Will they be in Spanish and Yiddish or
Hebrew as well?

I'd just as soon have Indian Point closed as soon as possible, Start
the decontamination process.

No comments:

Post a Comment