Tuesday, May 06, 2008

Jazz Fest on WWOZ, Sunday, May 4

12:05 NY time. Hazel throws to the Fairgrounds and no one answers.
Long silence... then a CD plays at a good level. Charles Burchell and
Dave Dauterive are the DJs.

revised schedule
11:30 - Paulin Bros, reairing of previous set
12 something - Jonathan Batiste
2:10 - Pfister Sisters
5:50 - Bob French

None of this is worth listening to. I'll pay attention to the AT&T webcast.

Charles sounds tinny. Two DJs talking reasonably.

They play the Paulin Bros from 4/27.

- We hear I'll Fly Away. Trumpet is low in the mix. Duh.

- Basin St Parade. These guys are low key, nice compared to the
in-your-face of most brass bands.

- Closer Walk With Thee

Then the rest as was aired on 4/27 I suppose.

some Professor Longhair cuts...

Jonathan Batiste (a better pianist than I thought but I'm not into
this kind of jazz)

Nice cheer to show how the audience loves being in this "fair city"!

Nice moment in the improv on the rag (Maple Leaf? I forget which one)
with some nice chords....

Wonderful World. Gets to be sickening to hear this after awhile.

It's so rare to hear a New Orleans band in tune...

Pfister Sisters now. I can't listen to this. Too painful.

John Ellis from before.

CDs

The Bad Plus from Thursday. REALLY low level. Not surprised.

I miss a bunch of this.

Bob French and the Original Tuxedo Jazz Band
A good band. Too bad Bob is such a jerk. Piano is low in the mix then
brought up. Good mix! Bob's mic is out of the mix, thank goodness.
Then it is brought up.

The end.

1 comment:

  1. Bob is my neighbor. He's hardly a jerk. He speaks his mind, something you should be able to relate to, so you should leave him alone.

    I am part of the broadcast during these festivals, so I don't know whether to laugh or be offended by your postings.

    I am leaning in the direction of being amused.

    Taking it lightly,
    George "WWOZ Moron #23" Ingmire

    PS - where do you find the time to do play by play critique of these streams? Do you ever feel lonely? I do.

    ReplyDelete