Wednesday, August 06, 2008

$12 turkey sandwich in NY

I went into NY yesterday. (NYC). I had lunch at a Greek deli near
where I had a meeting, on 7th, probably on the (NW) corner of 29th
st. A cute blond waitress took my order. I asked for a turkey and
bacon on whole wheat toast with a little bit of mayo. No lettuce. No
tomato. She gave me lettuce. OK, no big deal. The turkey looked green
in spots but I don't think it was. I just think those spots were
where the turkey had dried out. The turkey was dry. The bacon was old
and overcooked but had some taste to it. The toast was good and the
mayo was sparing. I had an ice tea to drink.

I didn't have time to finish it so I asked for the remains to go
which they gave me at no extra charge.

The bill, $12.21!

I used to work in NY about 10 years ago and had this sandwich all the
time. I think it cost me about 6 or 7 bucks with a chocolate milk as
my usual drink. I guess inflation has raisied the price to 12.

"That's NY, isn't it", the waitress told me earlier in some story I
didn't understand. She was constantly yakking with the frill cook who
was hispanic, in Spanish. So she speaks Greek and Spanish (and
English). That's NY for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment