Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Democrats 1, Republicans 0

The Democrats had Alejandro Escovedo playing for them last night.
Good choice and a nice surprise! He played to a drum backing track
but the others were live. I am not familiar with the song.

I do have to wonder about their playing Disco Inferno after Hillary's
speech though. I remember the riots of the 60s. "Burn baby burn"
wasn't an impotent disco chant. It has since been turned into that
although the song is so old one would probably only hear only it at
weddings or bad parties (or bad radio). Let's hope anti-Barack people
don't jump on it and claim black folk want to destroy this country.
It doesn't take much to make an issue out of stuff like this.

But anyway, until the conventions or maybe the elections are over,
the Dems are ahead 1-0. (And with their being held one after the
other a running score won't really work... ) The Dems have played
lots of lousy music in this campaign but I haven't heard any John
Cougar Mellencamp recently (or Fleetwood Mac, but that was the
Clintons theme song). Let's see what atrocious music the Repubs play.
I'm expecting some cowboy crap to represent macho. Obama favors
late-60s Motown and 70s soul (and later black music) which is tolerable
but I think he may surprise us here and there. Having David Amram play
for some event outside the convention hall got me interested.

I also had to wonder about their playing Isn't She Lovely after
Michelle's speech Tues. It's about a baby... I think they used the
version without the baby gurgling in it and while it was meant as a
token of affection, some might be offended being compared to a baby
or just being thought of as good looking. Not a big deal.

No comments:

Post a Comment