Saturday, August 09, 2008

WFMU Radio Greats Weekend, Friday, August 8th

Thoughts on the WFMU Radio Greats Weekend

Andy Waltzer
Thursday, August 7th, 9am - Noon on This Is the Modern World with Trouble
Taped it. He said some things that relate to the essence of why we
love FMU and radio.


Best of Aerial View's Intro Collages
Thursday, August 7th, 8pm - 11pm
Taped it. Some amazing collages. All great soundbites. Someday, I
want to know who all the voices are. I know some.


A Salute to Great WFMU Listeners
Friday, August 8th, 6:15pm - 7pm

thoughts while listening to Bronwyn's show
- I have the a segment of a Bronwyn show where she goes into the
relationship between the DJ and the listener, probably where she
developed the listener prefix for everybody.

- Bronwyn also had a story where she was talking about the men of FMU
calendar and William Berger got a sexy growl from her.

- Haven't heard about listener Petey in a long time. I remember
seeing a movie he made and it was pretty good for kid.


Meredith Ochs
Friday, August 8th, 7pm - 8pm

Meredith has big boobs... Kelly says. I suppose. I've seen a pic or
two of her in her band the Damn Lovelys.

It takes too long for Meredith to come on...

He plays a clip from a younger Meredith. Girlish.

Too short. Not enough Meredith...

part 2

Mr Finewine sounds like he is annoyed with her.


Neal Adams
Friday, August 8th, 8pm - 11pm
on Pseu's Thing With a Hook

I don't like Pseu's music...

When do we get Neal, etc. Tired 80s music on now.

Neal is on. He sounds EXACTLY the same as he did then! Older but the
same shtick.

Mid to late 80s was when he was there. He remembers the prep for the
show, more than his show. Ramapo College WRPR station was where alot
of FMUers started out!

Ken got complaints about Neal, more than anyone else!

Mildly interesting talk about Pseu's and Neal's intro to radio. Not
that interesting though.

"That wonderful voice." Right...

Yawn, he plays some music he played when at FMU. As bad now as it was then.

Great Don Imus story.

Time for my clip? Yes.

Boo hoo, she can't get the clip to play. I pointed her to my
briefcase version but it looks like she won't play it.

One nice song about a girl being in love.

Played it! (my post) "There we go. Phased and with interference as I
remember it, as most of my reception was in those days. The phasing
was an effect of turning it into a RealAudio file. Ken sounds like
he's at the wrong speed. I probably recorded it on a deck that was
off-speed. This was recorded some time between 10/31/85 - 11/15/85."

She says it was recorded in 1986 despite my saying the above dates.

Anyway, I thank her for playing it. She thanked me profusely both on
the air and in the playlist.

3 comments:

  1. Hey Lipwak,

    Sorry you didn't like the songs I picked, but it was a last minute thing and they were just off the top of my head of (mostly) obscure things from that era but looking book I should have put more thought into the selections or perhaps we just have different taste in music. And yes I know my voice is far from "wonderful"...but anyway thanks for getting that clip to Pseu, Ken and Irwin's "suggestions" are still really funny after all these years.

    -Neal

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Neal,

    You're a good sport. I always feel bad when I've said something bad about someone and then I hear from them, but that is what I was feeling at the time and blogs are nothing if not autobiographical.

    I do have to wonder though, what made you want to be on FMU? Back then it had a real tough exterior, an extreme hipper-than-thou attitude. Your DJ persona, at least to me seemed to be so un-FMU, so top 40, which was what made the whole trying-to-fit-in episode so funny. (love these hyphens....)

    Cheers,

    John L

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi John...

    Hmmm, well it was a long time ago but as I recall I really wanted to get back on the air after being fired from the college station at Fairleigh Dickinson. I was already a big fan of WFMU ... I listened almost every day and was thrilled when Ken gave me a show. I felt like I was just being myself on the air so all I can think of is maybe maybe I listened to too much WABC and WMCA when I was a kid! But at the time I hated the constrictions of commercial radio and loved the freedom to play what I wanted at FMU.....

    Take care,

    Neal

    ReplyDelete