Monday, December 01, 2008

Corn Toasties, day 1

Corn Toasties, or more properly Thomas' Corn Toast R Cakes ("Corn Toasties" are a product of Howard Johnson's and are square. These are round. I haven't seen Corn Toasties up here but you can buy them down south.) have removed the high fructose corn syrup completely from the ingredients so I am now back to eating them. Had my first one, post boycott, today. I had stopped eating them around Christmas last year because I was tired of all that high fructose corn syrup which turns up in EVERYTHING. I had been eating corn toasties for breakfast every day (except Sundays when I have waffles. ...When I find something I like, I stick with it.) for the past 35+ years. I like them.

This morning's batch were some that hadn't been baked enough which has happened sporadically in the past. They have that doughy taste. Next time I'll toast them through two cycles on the toaster and hope that fixes that. Normally one is all it takes.

So, I'll give them another chance. I'll post here if they don't make the grade. Then it will be back to Trader Joe's cornbread mix which is different and good but with it's own set of problems.

2 comments:

  1. Where can "Corn Bread Toasties" be found in the New Orleans area?

    ReplyDelete
  2. 10 years ago I bought some in the freezer section of a supermarket (Winn Dixie?) in New Orleans (at the river end of Jefferson Av.). They are made by Howard Johnsons. I don't know how widely they are distributed or if they make them anymore. They are actually called "Corn Toasties", which is what my family has called the Thomas' product for years. (At this time I am living up north, in NY.)

    ReplyDelete