Tuesday, April 21, 2009

French Quarter Fest on WWOZ

I tried to listen to as much of it as I could but things didn't work
out so I caught a lot less than I thought I would. No acts stand out
but I did like the Revealers and The Wild Magnolias sounded the best
I've ever heard. I do wonder, since the Mardi Gras Indians are
including Latin music into their music, is there a Mexican/Puerto
Rican mixing of music with all the Mexican labor introduced after the
storm? What do they think of the Puerto Rican/Cuban/Brazilian Latin
influences that seem to be more mainstream than the Mexican/Central
American?

I don't feel like giving my usual run-down but I will say I am
pleased that the mixes seemed good (I only heard one time when an
instrument was out of the mix.), the DJs didn't interrupt too often
with station IDs and for the most part the DJ blather was listenable.

Let's hope Jazz Fest will be as good as this.

No comments:

Post a Comment