Wednesday, April 16, 2008

watching things I can't do anything about... painful

I watched as the kids in my backyard explored the woods. Last time
they did this they poked sticks at a pair of ducks that were nesting
there. Today, I saw them gather around where they hide but they
weren't making movements like they were doing anything bad to them so
I didn't speak up.

Later I saw a rabbit run away as they approached. The wildlife here
really has a hard time.

They are painting the house in front of me. Yesterday they brought in
a dumpster and today they tore apart the brick front porch that was
falling apart. In the process of bringing in the dumpster, they ran
over some daffodils that are popping up all over the front yard. I
tried digging a few of them out today but the soil is so thick with
roots and rocks it broke a fork tool. I was able to transfer at least
two shoots with bulbs and have planted them by the other rescued
plants. Maybe others will survive... I took some pics.

Yesterday I moved some plants that the painter stepped on. They were
about to bloom. I also moved the Tulips that were doing the best
they ever had since they had gotten run over by the dumpster
delivery. They are now back with the rescued plants but won't bloom
this year, I shouldn't think.

Today, miraculously the painter DIDN'T run over the hyacinths that
are blooming for the first time (without getting run over) in the six
years I have lived here. I put up a marker so people will know they
are there but that may have to get taken down.

No comments:

Post a Comment